Copyright 2013. Slee Canine Training & Security. All rights reserved.
Type your paragraph here.
Todd A. Slee
9750 S 450 W
South Whitley, IN 46787
SLEE DOG TRAINING
THIS IS A LISTING AND DESCRIPTION OF DOGS WHICH ARE GOOD WATCH AND/OR GUARD DOGS, EITHER FOR HUMAN SECURITY AGAINST BOTH HUMAN & ANIMAL PREDATORS, OR FOR LIVESTOCK SECURITY AGAINST HUMAN AND/OR ANIMAL PREDATORS, OR BOTH. I’M SURE THAT THE ABILITIES OF MANY OF THESE DOGS WILL SURPRISE YOU, AS THEY SURPRISED ME THE FIRST TIME I READ UP ON THE VARIOUS DOG BREEDS. KEEP IN MIND, THAT A WATCH DOG’S DUTY IS TO ALERT THE MASTER OF A PROBLEM, AS THE DUTY OF A GUARD DOG IS TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. SOME OF THE DOGS LISTED ARE A JACK OF ALL TRADES. MOSTLY ONLY THE GUARD/WATCH QUALITIES ARE LISTED HERE, BUT ALSO A GENERAL DESCRIPTION. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW THE GENERAL QUALITIES, AS WELL AS QUALITIES WHICH DON’T RELATE DIRECTLY TO GUARD/WATCH DUTY, BECAUSE MANY OF THOSE QUALITIES CAN BE USED IN THE SECURITY AREA.
BREEDS GOOD FOR GUARD DUTY LISTED BELOW
1. GOLDEN RETRIEVER-Used to retrieve ducks in Canada and has been used to watch over sheep. Retrieves on land or in water & makes a fine pet.
2.GORDON SETTER-An excellent hunting and/or show dog, is a good bird dog, has good memory, is durable, a slow but steady hunter, can retrieve, makes a good guard dog, is good w/children, focuses on pleasing his master and is totally loyal, but does occasionally have run ins with dogs he considers intruders.
3. LABRADOR RETRIEVER-Excellent sense of smell plus scent discrimination ability, can be trained to obey hand signals, very loyal to the master, can be protective, makes a fine pet.
4. AMERICAN WATER SPANIEL-A flusher and retriever which makes a good family dog and a guard.
5. WELSH SPRINGER SPANIEL-Upland game hunter, can adapt to a wide climate range, can work long hours. He has the ability to know when to be a guard and is gentle with children. Can be slightly hard to train because of an independent streak but is faithful once taught.
6. SIBERIAN HUSKY-A light sled dog, used as a pet and guard dog. Can work in temperatures down to at least 50 below zero.
7. COLLIE-The best for driving and guarding sheep. They have the know how to herd sheep and the courage & endurance to withstand predators, are easy to train, responsible and faithful.
8. SHETLAND SHEEPDOG-Allof to strangers, friendly & obedient to the master, used to guard the home and flock.
9. OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG-For driving cattle and sheep, can adapt to hot or cold weather, has sharp nose and hearing, is easy to train, likes to stay close to his master, does well as a watch dog, is good with children, can adapt to a farm or an apartment.
10. GREAT PYRANEES-Is reliable enough to guard flocks of sheep without human help, will fight wolves and bears, used as a watch dog, is dependable with children and loyal.
11. KOMONDOR-Originally for guarding flocks, his coat protects him from the weather and predators, will stand his ground against wolves, used as a police guard dog, is loyal to his master and family, is suspicious of strangers.
12. ROTTWEILER-Mainly for a guard dog and to drive cattle, excellent for police and military duties due to a strong guard instinct, obedience and ability to remain calm and unexcited, becomes strongly attatched to his master.
13. BELGIAN TERVUREN-A sheep dog with a special talent for obedience work, always curious of anything strange, is a great watch dog and loves to play with children.
14. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG (GROENENDAEL)-A herding dog used by the Belgians for locating and helping wounded soldiers in no man’s land and as messengers thru lines of fire, has a fast gait and never seems to get tired.
15. BELGIAN MALINOIS-The same talents and intelligence as the Tervuren, looks like a German Shepherd.
16. BULL MASTIFF-Smaller, faster & more agile than the Mastiff, originally for patrolling England’s forests to subdue poachers, and would pin a man to the ground and hold him there until the handler arrived, has a good temperament and makes a fine police or guard dog.
17. GREAT DANE-Originally to hunt wild boar, very brave, super jaw strength with holding power, nimble, has been a war, coach and guard dog, makes a good pet and does well even in an apartment if exercised.
18. BOXER-A superb police helper & home guard, confident but not high strung, fun loving with the family, aloof & sometimes wary of strangers, protects the master and family, is agile, brave, powerful and mentally sharp, has been a war dog and guide for the blind.
19. GERMAN SHEPHERD-Originally a herding dog, used for guard duty, rescue work, war duty, guide for the blind, police work, search & rescue work, messenger dog and locating avalanche victims.
20. BRIARD-Used to herd sheep, for police work and guard duty, energetic and durable, has sharp hearing and physical power, has been a war dog, is a rather quiet and solemn dog, and returns the master’s kindness.
21. BOUVIER DE FLANDRE-Used by military and police, has a keen sense, is energetic and agile, used as a watchdog, police dog, messenger dog in war, and an ambulance aid, and is a great pet.
22.STANDARD SCHNAUZER-Lively, intelligent and fearless. Is an expert at catching rats, is a guard dog and a stable and grounds dog, and is devoted to the master and his family.
23.GIANT SCHNAUZER-Energetic and dependable, can herd livestock, guard businesses, pull sleds and is a police and military dog.
24. DOBERMAN PINSCHER-This dog has the agility of a terrier, strength of a German Shepherd, speed of the Greyhound (or nearly so), the intelligence of a chimpanzee, the fearlessness of Hercules and the spirit of dynamite, easy to train and a quick learner, one of the top breeds in obedience, generally a one man/one family dog, aloof to strangers, and his respect and loyalty are earned by his master. Used as a guide dog for the blind, war dog, police dog, and guard dog. He is brave with a sharp nose and excellent day & night time vision.
25. MASTIFF-Known in Egypt as far back as 3,000 B.C. He is so huge and brave, that it is said 3 go against a bear and 4 against a mountain lion, also a superb watchdog yet still makes a good companion.
26. ST. BERNARD-Originally used as a watch dog and pack animal, they were also trained to rescue lost/stranded travelers. His feet enable him to paddle thru deep snow. Has the strength of a brute but makes a gentle family pet.
27. BERNESE MOUNTAIN DOG-This Swiss mountain dog has mostly been a draft animal but is also a pet, guard dog, police dog and search & rescue dog.
28. KUVASZ-Used in Hungary for big game hunts, guard work, herding, and guarding flocks against wolves and rustlers.
29. NEWFOUNDLAND-Has saved many drowning people, used to pull carts and as a pack animal in World War II, loves the water & will retrieve, protects the home and is gentle with kids, used by the Coast Guard for rescue work & to tow small boats.
30. MALTESE-Resembles the Skye Terrier, will go on guard duty, watches over ducks and will occasionally try to herd cattle. Has a good nature and is smart, requires a lot of attention.
31. ENGLISH TOY SPANIEL-Skilled at hunting woodcock and is a sentry of the home.
32. CHIHUAHUA-Smallest dog in the world, extremely alert, protective of his domain and is very wary of strangers.
33. AFFENPINSCHER-Looks like the Brussels Griffon, alert but quiet most of the time, courageous and makes a lot of noise whenever there is potential danger, very smart, a good rat catcher and a great pet.
34. MINIATURE PINSCHER-Looks like the Doberman but much older, a great watch dog, very smart, superb hearing, likes kids, loves to do tricks, usually a one person dog.
35. BLACK & TAN COONHOUND- Excellent at night hunting and one of the best trackers, not the fastest but steady & consistent, strong and much endurance, will guard his master, good on rough ground.
36. NORWEGION ELKHOUND-Can guard a home or farm, herd sheep, pull a sled, hunt bear & elk, a good nose & very sharp hearing, a tried gun dog and show dog, an unusually clean dog, faithful to and dependable for the family, does like to roam when allowed to. Was used by the Vikings as long ago as 4,000 B.C.
37. RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK-Can guard the farm & home and be without water for 24 hours, swift of movement, courageous, can tolerate bugs, the heat of day and cold of night, great endurance, sharp scent & eyesight, can hunt lion & cougar, a good bird dog, easy to train, likes children, a good pet, does well in the city or country.
38. IRISH WOLFHOUND-Can guard sheep and shepherd against wolves, fast enough to catch a wolf, enough jaw power to kill a wolf, fast, agile enough to catch game smaller than himself, good manners, affectionate & kind, a fine pet.
39. AFGHAN HOUND-As old as 6,000 years, hunts by sight, can take extreme heat and cold, a superb jumper & climber, daring, fast & strong enough to go against a leopard, hunts the gazelle & hare, can herd sheep, used as a watchdog in the wilds, a good show dog, looks arrogant but is friendly and playful.
40. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND-Originally used to pursue deer, later for coyote and wolf, large lung capacity, much stamina, speed and strength, can take down a 250 pound deer, very loyal, likes people but not as affectionate as some dogs.
41. BORZOI-Also called a Russian Wolfhound, used mainly to hunt wolf, also hunts other game, has been used in the United States to kill coyotes which slaughter cattle and as a show dog.
42. SCOTTISH TERRIER-Aloof to strangers, very smart, takes well to training, fine in an apartment or on a farm, hunts fox, badger, squirrel, rats, beaver & other furbearers, digs the fox & badger out of the den & kills them.
43. SKYE TERRIER-Usually aloof to strangers, extremely loyal to his master, excellent varmint hunter, long hair is a protector against weather and predator.
44. FOX TERRIER-Extremely alert, curious & full of mischief, always wanting to be in the middle of what’s going on, good all around pet, fine for the country or the city, a very good small varmint hunter, having very strong jaws, able to take a fox, even a groundhog, digging them out of their den.
45. BULL TERRIER-Originally a pit fighting dog, believes in death before dishonor, does well in obedience contests, loves being with humans, brave, fearless, full of stamina, rock-hard muscle and both prey and fighting drive, yet stable and even tempered.
46. DANDIE DINMONT TERRIER- Excellent sentry dog, loves & protects children, can hunt fox, badger & otter, an expert rat killer, very smart, friendly, loves to play & be silly.
47. BORDER TERRIER-A vigilant watch dog, can drive cattle & sheep, keep up with the horse on the hunt and the hunter’s fox, run thru the underbrush to get the fox, able to kill an adult badger one on one, having the required jaw strength, is a friend to children and very tolerant with cats.
48. STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER-Originally bred for fighting, willing to die for his master if need be, exceptional ability to discern between good and evil people, can hold his own against the evil, brave, mannerly, dependable, very controllable & obedient, loyal and a delight to his master.
49. NORWICH TERRIER-A one man dog, good all around house dog, a natural rat killer, so energetic he seems hyper, brave enough to hunt fox and badger, the mothers extensively train and protect their pups, molding them into expert hunters.
50. AUSTRALIAN TERRIER-A fine watch dog, with a foolproof ability to sense a stranger’s approach from afar off, able to watch sheep, well known as a rat and snake killer, makes a perfect pet.
51. BEDLINGTON TERRIER-Even though this dog looks like a lamb, he is tough & quick enough to have won many a dog fight in older times, and many a race, an efficient killer of rats, brave, loyal, easily controlled and trained.
52.AIREDALE TERRIER-The biggest Terrier, a brave battle messenger and an all business watch dog. His ease of training and strength fits him as a police dog, so fearless he will hunt & attack bear, wolf and mountain lion, kind to all the family, especially patient to children and loves to be spoiled.
53. IRISH TERRIER-Small but courageous enough to hunt & attack big game, as well as varmints, loves to play with children, is a devoted guard to the family, does well in the city or country.
54.MANCHESTER TERRIER-Resembles the Doberman Pinscher but probably no direct relation, extremely quick, a superb rat catcher, very adept at running rabbits, totally loyal to his master, being a one man dog.
55. KERRY BLUE TERRIER-A very versatile dog, moves cattle & sheep, goes into a den after prey, tracks, hunts & retrieves, one of the best watch dogs, easy to train, at home in the city or country, friendly to the whole family, but especially to his master.
56. WELSH TERRIER-Will do watch dog duties, intelligent, a good pet, will herd livestock, bred to hunt the badger, fox & otter, will enter a den to get the fox.
57. MINIATURE SCHNAUZER-A discerning watch dog, very smart & alert, a fine pet, highly capable rat & varmint killer, playful & mischievous, prefers people to other dogs.
58. BOSTON TERRIER-Bred into being in the mid 19th century from pit fighting dogs, he is sharp, watchful, resolute, of stable temperament and kindly considerate, particularly suited for city life.
59. DALMATION-This dog is a surprise, a jack of all trades: a pack animal, sheep herder & guard, a tracker & pointer, a rat catcher, a retriever, and a protector of the horse, it’s coach and the people inside; he would keep the road ahead clear of people & animals, keep the horses calm by keeping animals/people from chasing them. He is sharp witted yet reserved, reliable, kindly, thoughtful, playful yet protective.
60. CHOW CHOW-A 2,000 year old guard dog, sled dog, pet, and hunting dog, indifferent to those outside the family, independent and proud, playful & patient to those within the family.
61. KEESHOND-A guard dog on boats and rat catcher, resembling a Husky, a devoted dog which looks good with a minimum of care.
62. SCHIPPERKE-A guard dog on boats and a rat catcher, used to herd horses, nice with children, alert, energetic and devoted.
63. LHASA APSO-Has keen ears and the discernment to tell friend from an enemy or intruder, loyal once he trusts you and likes to be rewarded for guarding the home.
64. MOUNTAIN FEIST-Primarily a squirrel hunting dog, very watchful & alert, protective, rather aggressive, smart, loyal, a fine pet & a good lap dog, will hunt nearly any game, fearless.
65. AKITA-new listing, description will be added soon!